Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Scruffy Beard Pattern!


Using US10 needles and worsted weight yarn (I used Stitch Nation Alpaca), cast on 40 stitches.

Knit 3 rows
Row 4: Knit 15, bind off 10, Knit 15
Row 5: Knit 15, cast on 10, Knit 15
Rows 6-12: K2tog, knit to last 2 stitches, SSK each row
Rows 13-15: Knit across
Bind off loosely

Wrap yarn around palm of hand, then cut your loop so that you have multiple strands of yarn. Starting about 1 inch from the bottom of the beard, sew 5-6 strands of yarn onto beard (I ran a strand of yarn through the beard, place the strands, and then ran the strand through and tied the strands in the back--use whatever method you prefer). Repeat this every 1/2 inch or so along the bottom of the beard. Then, starting about an inch above this row, begin another row of "scruffiness". I staggered my bundles of yarn. I hadn't trimmed anything in the picture shown, but would recommend trimming it to make it look a little less scruffy!

My students at school are literally fighting over these!!

1 comment:

TEAMHARTFORD said...

THIS BEARD PATTERN IS AWESOME!!
LOVE IT!! My daughter is going as Grumpy in the 7 dwarfs and I was able to make the beard in an evening. Super cute in white chenille yarn with the "scruffy" pieces hanging down. Thank you for posting and sharing your talents!! Happy Knitting!